• Ashton Nyte, with Sewen on piano and guitar, at Café Barcelona, Shop 24, Elardus Park Shopping Centre, cnr Delmas Rd and Barnard St, Elardus Park, Pretoria. 8pm. R100. Tel 012 345 3602.
• Kent, Vetkuk vs Mahoota, Silly Bean, Ready J, Smhall, Spedofonic and more, at Stevovo’s, cnr Church and Du Toit sts, Pretoria. Doors open 10pm. Free.
• Sue Green pays classical guitar at Mastro Restaurant, The Glen Shopping Centre, Oakdene. 5pm to 8pm. Free. Tel: 082 455 8634.
• CrashCarBurn with Man As Machine and Gangsterdam at Rumours, Shop 20 Palm Court Cornelius St, Weltevreden Park. 8pm. R50. Tel: 082 208 0324.
• Deep Town third birthday with DJ Philip Bader, Metro Ticket, Brian Blaq, Cid Surco, D’Ritmo, Ric Norte and more at MiHouse, 36 Roger St, Selby. 8pm. R150. Tel: 079 957 5161.
• Peter Auret Trio and guest do jazz at The Orbit, 81 De Korte St, Braamfontein. 8.30pm. R100. See www.theorbit.co.za.
• The Glitchy and Scratchy Show with Kidmammoth, Kid Robot, Tek-Tonal and Cyberphunk at Capital Music Café, cnr Keyes and Tyrwhitt aves, Rosebank. R50. 9pm. Tel: 011 880 0033.
• Toy Toy April with Fabio, Andi Dill and Mbuso and Kat La Kat at 36 Stiemens St, Braamfontein. 9pm. Admission TBA. Tel: 011 447 7996.
• Wrestlerish album launch of Greater Goods and Lesser Evils at Arcade Empire, 265 The Highway St, Equestria, Pretoria East. 7pm. Free. Tel: 087 980 3531.
• Bassanova at Truth, Old Pretoria Rd, Midrand with DJ Speedy, Isle of Skye and Dirty Herz plus Vimo, Pimp Squad, Ric Norte, Pop Art, Matt Suttner, Rob Sloan and many more. 9pm. R50 before 11pm and R80 after. Tel: 011 315 9295.
• Renewal in His Presence, the launch of Benjamin Dube’s latest DVD. Carnival City, Big Top Arena, cnr Century and Elsburg rds, Brakpan. 7.30pm. R150 to R300 at Computicket. Tel: 011 898 7575/7000.
• Tanica and Nakid at Café Barcelona, Elardus Park Shopping Centre, cnr Delmas Rd and Barnard St, Elardus Park, Pretoria. 8.30am. R30. Tel 012 345 3602.
• Boombox VII aka #BBXVII: Twins on Decks, Skavo, DJ Score, The Vinyl Kid, SNL and Banks at China Mall Randburg, cnr Jan Smuts Ave and Republic Rd, Randburg. 9pm to 4pm. R50. Tel: 072 651 6275.
• Mark Haze at Trotters Pub, 22 Dakota Rd, Impala Park. 8pm. R40. Tel: 011 918 1409.
• Carnival du Freak with ToyBoy, The Beard, DJ Soosh and Lex Lafoy, Marcella, I Am Noize and Seanyboi at King Kong, 6 Verwey St, Troyeville. 8pm. R50. Tel: 083 875 6386.
• DJ Nina Kraviz supported by Killer Robot and Coco Loco at The Alexander Theatre, 36 Stiemens St, Braamfontein. 9pm. R150 to R200 at www.web tickets.ca.za. Tel: 011 403 0413.
• Progcast Live with Savage Lucy, Poverty of Ideals and more at Rumours Lounge, Shop 20, Palm Court, Cornelius St, Weltevreden Park. 6.30pm. Admission TBA. Tel: 082 208 0324.
• Twilight: Dusk Till Dawn at Hornbill Lodge, 1791 Magaliesburg. Two-day trance festival with Talpa, The Riddler, Headroom, Deliriant, Technicolor, Nymfo, Rudeone, Benson, Mr Green, David Prap, Monique Pascall, Nick Grater, Senjo and more 9am. R260 to R350 at www.webtickets.co.za. Tel: 082 900 7107.
• Beeskraal Revival at Saloon Route 66, Hartbeeshoek Rd, Hartbeespoort Dam. 10am to 3pm. Admission TBA. Tel 083 372 8118 or 083 261 2602.
• Unplugged Sessions: Kabaal Klankbaan and Gift Maringa featuring Dr Fraser McNeill at Tings an’ Times, Shop No 36, Waterglen Centre, cnr January Masilela (General Louis Botha) and Garsfontein rds, Waterglen. 3.30pm. Booking essential. Tel: 012 993 0234.
• Dave Ferguson and Andra at Café Barcelona, Elardus Park Shopping Centre, cnr Delmas Rd and Barnard St, Pretoria. 8.30pm. R80. Tel 012 345 3602.
• The Battle 4 Rumours at Rumours Lounge, Shop 20 Palm Court Cornelius Street, Weltevreden Park. 7pm. R40. Tel: 082 208 0324.
• Open Mic at Casa Toscana, Lynnwood Manor, Pretoria East. R170 (entry plus braai ticket). Tel: 012 348 8820.
• Tailor at Café Barcelona, Elardus Park Shopping Centre, cnr Delmas Rd and Barnard St, Elardus Park, Pretoria. 8.30pm. R80. Tel 012 345 3602.
GIG OF THE WEEK
Emmarentia Dam (Tomorrow)
There was a Pretoria watering hole I used to frequent years ago. Although they had the coldest beers and freshest pies, that wasn’t the reason I went there. Every weekend featured karaoke and Pierre (the manager) had the largest song library I’d ever seen.
Spoilt for choice, I soon learnt I could sing most of the songs in my low registers so I tried a few. The one which really earned me a reputation among the revellers was UB40’s (I Can’t Help) Falling In Love. Originally an Elvis Presley classic, UB40 (pictured) added their reggae twist to it to make it their own. But that’s what UB40 are good at, not so?
From songs such as Eric Donaldson’s Cherry Oh Baby to Al Green’s Here I Am Baby (Come and Take Me).,UB40 made a living off reworking classics into their own style.
If you enjoyed their efforts and want to see them live, then you have a chance tomorrow at Emmarentia Dam (Olifants Rd, Parkhurst, Emmarentia) in Joburg. Although there were issues within the group and they disbanded a few years ago, with lead singer Ali Campbell going solo, you will be happy to know tthe core members are still on board. At least for this tour.
The show will begin with the South African bands Mango Groove and Freshlyground as the opening act and they are sure to get the audience amped for the British group.
• The show starts at 11am and should end at 6pm. Relive the memories of one of the best bands of our time. From R395 at Webtickets. – Munya Vomo.