Whether it’s a birthday, office triumph or the simple pleasure of a bubble bath — South Africans know sparkling wine will rise to the occasion.
We asked sommeliers and a wine enthusiast which sparkling wines you should try.
Moses Magwaza: Sommelier at Restaurant Mosaic
Simonsig Kaapse Vonkel Brut N/V
- This bubbly is very refreshing on the palate. The refined acidity captures the aromas of secondary yeast flavours with a taste of apple and a hint of berry.
Graham Beck Brut N/V
- I love the frothy pale gold colour. There’s a rich creamy complexity on the palate and because of this, it can be paired very successfully with seafood, poultry or a soft cheese.
A little #ThrowbackThursday to a wonderful afternoon introducing @thebistroatkleinconstantia to our friends. To check out their latest menu and take advantage of their winter special click here: http://www.kleinconstantia.com/the-bistro/ Photo cred @instacptguy - #thebistroatkleinconstantia #lunch #wine #alfresco #bistro #farmtotable #chef #constantia #restaurant #capetown #fresh #food #carpaccio #salad #yum
A post shared by Klein Constantia (@kleinconstantia) on
Klein Constantia Brut 2014
- Aromas of baked brioche and Granny Smith apples are abundant on the nose. It is a fresh and lively wine and when you drink it the palate is dominated by a powerful mousse with a full and zesty minerality.
Zizipho Dingana: Food blogger and wine enthusiast
Steenberg Lady R MCC 2012
- This MCC is a blend made up of 70% pinot noir and 30% Chardonnay. I salivated over the apple blossom, honeysuckle, raspberry, almond puff pastry, citrus biscuits and savoury aromas of dried herbs. The creaminess on the palate is complemented by the subtle and refreshing acidity.
Laborie Blanc de Blancs
- This complex and indulgent MCC shows clarity of fruit on the nose. Hints of lime are accompanied by aromas of toasted bread and hazelnut. The palate is creamy and textured with an explosive acidity.
Ayanda Kunene: Sommelier at Big Easy Winebar & Grill Durban by Ernie Els
Pongracz Noble Nectar
- This bubbly has a sugary flavour. I like it because of its structure. The way they make it, they are still using the old traditional method in order to gain the carbon dioxide or fizziness of the wine. It is a good wine to spoil yourself with.
L’ Ormarins Brut Classique MCC
- This wine is perfect for the early morning. I enjoy it because of its freshness, crisp and round structure.
Farai Magwada: Head sommelier at the Cavalli Estate
Charles Fox Brut Rosé
- Coming from a true MCC producer in the Elgin Valley this is very sophisticated. It has all the attributes of a celebratory bubbly. It can be reserved for special occasions, though it is not too intimidating to have on any other day.
Cavalli Capriole Blanc de Blanc
- Capriole is in a class of its own and punches way above its weight. It is not too rich to enjoy by itself or too flimsy to stand up to food.
- It displays an orchestra of flavours that include apple, white stone fruit, almonds with well-refined mousse and rich texture.
- This is a limited release that you can only source from the cellar door at Cavalli Estate.