Food remains a trademark of the Eid celebrations in South Africa and around the world. In Cape Town, seafood is a feature of most meals, especially crayfish.
This recipe has a South Indian seafood masala spice that will add a depth of flavour to curry that will have family and friends wondering what is your secret ingredient.
Crayfish in a cream sauce
- 2 tbsp Spice Mecca South Indian seafood masala
- 1 tbsp crushed garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- About 50g butter
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- ¼ cup of water
- 1 kg crayfish tails, trimmed and cut lengthwise
- 250 ml fresh cream
- Make a paste with masala, garlic paste, salt, oil and lemon juice and zest. Marinate the crayfish.
- Saute onions in butter until golden brown.
- Stir in tomato paste and water and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add crayfish and cook for about 10 -15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in fresh cream.
- Serve on a bed of saffron rice garnished with coriander.
Recipe courtesy of Spice Mecca.