1 cheesecake, 8–10 slices
- 200 g butter biscuits or digestive biscuits
- 70 g butter, melted
- 30 ml sugar
- 1 kg cream cheese, at room temperature
- 180 g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 250 ml cream
- Seeds of 1 vanilla pod or fine lemon zest
- 30 ml lemon juice
- Round 26 cm loose-bottomed cake tin
- Electric mixer
- Preheat the oven to 120 ˚C.
- Make the crust of the cheesecake by crushing the biscuits and adding the melted butter and sugar.
- Place the mixture in the cake tin, and use the back of a tablespoon to press the biscuit mixture together tightly.
- Cover the entire base of the tin and smoothen out. Chill in the fridge.
- For the filling, place the cream cheese and caster sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and mix on a slow speed setting until just combined.
- Add the eggs one by one, making sure that the first has been well mixed through before adding the next.
- Scrape the sides of the mixing bowl clean when necessary.
- Add the cream and vanilla seeds or lemon peel.
- Stir until just combined.
- Pour the mixture over the crust and bake for 2-2½ hours.
- Switch off the oven and allow the cheesecake to stand in the oven until the oven has cooled.
- Carefully turn the cheesecake out onto a serving plate.