60 g butter/margarine
1 Tbsp oil
1 kg chicken fillet, cut into cubes
2 medium onions, finely chopped
4 tsp garam masala
4 tsp ground koljana
2 Tbsp garlic and ginger paste
2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp salt or too taste
3 cardamom pods
5 black peppercorns
150 ml natural yoghurt
2 Tbsp tomato puree
150 ml milk water – half water, half milk
2 bay leaves
2 tsp cornflour / maizena (optional)
200 ml fresh cream or coconut cream
• Heat butter and oil in a pot. Sear the chicken pieces until they are brown. Remove from pot.
• Fry onions until they are golden and soft.
• In a separate bowl, blend together all the spices, yoghurt, tomato puree and chicken pieces.
• Add this to the onions.
• Add the milk and bay leaves and leave to simmer for 15 min, stirring occasionally. Add the chicken pieces.
• Turn the chicken pieces over and simmer for another 15 min.
• Mix the flour with the cream. Add to chicken. Cook for a further 10-15 min.
• Garnish with fresh coriander.
Salwaa Smith - Cape Malay Cooking & Other Delights