The welcoming wafts of the smokey, meat-infused aromas drew thousands of visitors into Joburg’s Ticketpro Dome this weekend with tasty samples, craft drinks, and upbeat music making this a truly memorable event.
“It’s going to take a few days to digest all the amazing show offerings at the sizzling, second-ever Fire & Feast,” says Sandra Jardim, General Manager: The Fire & Feast Meat Festival.
“This was the ultimate space for all visitors to eat meat, feast and repeat with some of the best in the South African meat industry. There were so many opportunities to source great-tasting meats, spices, sauces and cooking accessories, all in one location. South Africa has a truly dynamic meat industry and Fire & Feast has seared its mark as the place to celebrate this," she adds.
Highlights from the festival included
- Seasoned ‘lambassadors’ – The Bearded Chef, and Chefs Naledi, Thutu and Tshepang – turned up the heat in the Lamb & Mutton SA Theatre.
- The Sparta Beef Theatre educated visitors on all the best beef products - including Woodview Wagyu and Sparta Angus Beef.
- The Poultry Theatre was where culinary chefs demonstrated interesting ways to prepare this versatile meat.
- The Pork Tasting Room was where you learnt about the perfect pork cuts.
- MyBraai Meat and Wine Pairing Theatre was where the knowledgeable Chef Themba Dube from MyBraai online butchery, displayed his culinary insights by preparing beef, chicken, lamb and biltong dishes while sommeliers expertly paired the flavours with their selected wines.
- The winners of the 2017 National Butchers’ Challenge, Andre van der Merwe, Leo Roland Delaney, Pedro Sequira Goncalves, Werner Viljoen and Sebastian Munyewende – all of whom represented South Africa at the 2018 World Butchers’ Challenge – also demonstrated their cutting-edge skills.
- There was five crazy Chilli-eating Competitions with daredevil contestants braving the heat of some of the hottest chilli flavours available.
- SA’s braai superhero and Chad-O-Chef ambassador – BraaiBoy – captivated hungry visitors in the outdoor Braaitology
- The Wine Tasting Area featured some of the country’s most internationally-acclaimed wines.
- At the indoor Craft Beer Bar and Gin Bar you could taste the latest and best of amber and clear liquids.