Ham and Cheese Brioche Pudding (Serves 6)
- 1 tablespoon butter, for greasing the pan
- 340g brioche loaf or smaller brioches, cut into 2,5cm cubes (about 8 cups)
- 6 eggs
- 4 cups half-and-half or whole milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Pinch of cayenne
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 170g thinly sliced ham, cut crosswise into matchsticks (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 230g grated Gouda or Gruyère cheese (about 4 cups)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Butter an 28-by-28-cm baking dish.
- Fill dish with brioche cubes and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs well. Whisk in half-and-half, salt, pepper, nutmeg, cayenne and scallions.
- Pour mixture over cubes in baking dish.
- Sprinkle ham and cheese on top of mixture, and press down to make sure everything is submerged.
- Set baking dish on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Transfer baking dish and baking sheet to the middle shelf of the oven, and bake for 45 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the dish emerges dry.
- Let rest for 10 minutes or so before serving.
The New York Times