Roasted aubergine and buffalo mozzarella pizza
For the dough
- 1½ tsp active dry yeast
- 420ml warm, not hot, water
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for the bowl
- 575g all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp course salt
For the toppings
- 900g aubergine, cut into 2.5cm cubes
- Extra virgin olive oil, as needed
- Kosher salt, as needed
- Black pepper, as needed
- ½ cup canned plum tomatoes, puréed
- 4 to 8 garlic cloves, thinly sliced, to taste
- Red pepper flakes, as needed
- 230g fresh buffalo mozzarella
- Basil leaves, torn into pieces
- Flaky sea salt
Make the dough
- Mix the yeast, warm water and olive oil in the bowl of an electric stand mixer or food processor, and let the mixture
- sit until the yeast is foamy, about 5 minutes.
- Add flour and salt, and using the dough hook or food processor blade, beat or pulse it until a smooth, slightly elastic dough forms, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Lightly coat a bowl with olive oil, place dough in the bowl, and turn the dough to coat it with oil. Cover the bowl loosely with a kitchen towel or plastic wrap, place in the refrigerator and let it sit overnight.
- Divide the dough in quarters, and shape each piece into a tight, compact ball.
- Place the dough balls on a lightly oiled baking sheet or plate, loosely cover with plastic wrap and let them rise in the refrigerator for another 1 to 2 hours (or up to 6 hours).
- When ready to bake the pizzas, place racks in the top third and bottom third of the oven.
- Put a pizza stone on top rack, and heat oven to 230ºC.
Prepare the toppings
- On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the aubergine generously with oil, salt and pepper.
- Roast aubergine on the bottom rack until caramelised and tender, 40 to 45 minutes, tossing halfway through. Remove from the oven and raise the oven heat to 260ºC.
- On a piece of parchment paper, stretch out one of the balls of dough to a 30cm round.
- Spread 2 tablespoons tomato purée on top, leaving a 1cm border.
- Scatter on ¼ of the sliced garlic, a large pinch of red-pepper flakes and drizzle with oil to taste.
- Arrange ¼ of the roasted aubergine on top.
- Use a pizza peel or cookie sheet to slide the parchment onto the pizza stone.
- Bake until crispy and golden on the top and bottom, 7 to 10 minutes. Use tongs to pull the pizza out of the oven and onto a wire rack to cool.
- Immediately top with chunks of cheese, pulling it apart with your hands into bite-size pieces.
- Top with basil, more oil to taste and flaky sea salt.
- Repeat with the remaining dough and toppings.
The New York Times