- Shin, marrow, neck and oxtail bones are best for flavouring. Knuckles are tasty in a good thick vegetable soup.
- Soup that is made 1 to 2 days in advance, flavours well. The longer soup stands the tastier it becomes as the flavours develop and fuses through.
- It is good to make a double quantity of soup and freeze the leftovers for another day.
- If soup is too salty, add half peeled raw potato and simmer about 15 minutes to absorb excess salt and then remove potato.
- A teaspoon of sugar or light brown sugar will mellow the acidity of tomato soup.
- It is very pleasing to the eye to garnish soup with fresh herbs, freshly ground black pepper or croutons.
Winter is officially here and the grey skies and cold weather calls for a hearty bowl of homemade soup - even restaurants know this.
Although restaurants are serving more traditional “homemade” dishes, it’s always better making your own.
You don’t have to be a professional to make a tasty pot of soup, but if you are a new to soup making and don’t know where to start, these tips are will steer you in the right direction.
Soup hints and tips:
* Tips by Shanaaz Parker