Olivier Kritzinger made more than 20 000 kg’s of boerewors over 15 years before he was crowned 2016's Championship Boerewors winner.
The 63 year old says since the inception of the competition he was inspired and motivated to enter because of his love for wors.
“There was a remark on the entry form that said ‘This could be South Africa’s number one boerewors’ and that’s what motivated me,” he says. Kritzinger has been the project manager at Huis Formosa for the aged in Joubertina in the Eastern Cape, for almost 20 years. His passion for boerewors grew in leaps and bounds when he launched the Huis Formosa’s butchery in June 1999.
The search for the 2017 Boerewors Champion has now begun and Kritzinger has a few tips to win over the judges and pass the taste test:
- Use the best quality meat you can get
- Spices are as important as meat. Only use fresh herbs and top quality spices
- Keep a record of all the ingredients you use
- Be meticulous and weigh every ingredient so that you can replicate the taste
- Become an expert about every ingredient and make sure you know how to get the best out of
Entry details and more information about the competition can be found on www.championshipboerewors.co.za