These IV infusions have become a popular lifestyle trend among celebrities and the rich, both internationally and locally.
While international celebrities such as Madonna, Kim Kardashian and Rihanna have taken to the trend internationally, in South Africa, the likes of Tatum Keshwar, Lalla Hirayama, DJ Euphonik, Kelly Khumalo, Tbo Touch and DJ Fresh have all been spotted having the treatments.
Administered through an IV drip, these natural vitamins, which were traditionally offered to the sick in a hospital setting, are now offered in spas, doctors’ rooms and clinics to treat an array of health conditions including migraine, fatigue, skin conditions and hangovers.
They contain minerals, electrolytes, amino acids and antioxidants, and go straight to the bloodstream, allowing nutrients to flood the body and nourish it at cellular level.
Not only do these vitamins promise to give the skin a youthful glow, but they are said to boost energy and improve metabolic functions, while aiding weight loss.
Dr Shaheen Kader, who owns Reviv Cape Town, a franchise that offers IV vitamins, said whereas one may lose between 50% and 60% of vitamins taken orally through the digestive tract, IV vitamins impart 100% of the benefits of the ingredients used.
Kader said a number of infusion treatments target a variety of wellness needs by replenishing hydration, aiding recovery from illness or jet lag, providing hangover relief and restoring vitamin and nutrient levels, while refreshing cosmetic appearance and revitalising overall well-being.
Among treatments his practice offers are:
* Royal Flush Duluxe Infusion, which combines the recovery benefits and cleansing effects of vitamins, ensuring maximum productivity and detoxification.
* Megaboost Vitamin Infusion. This not only restores your body with minerals, but antioxidantsand electrolytes restore equilibrium to the body, maximising productivity and leaving one feeling refreshed.
* Vitaglow Anti-ageing Infusion, which rejuvenates skin with antioxidant Glutathione to impart a youthful glow.
* Ultraviv Recover Infusion, which is used to treat sleep deprivation, excessive workload and fatigue. This form of treatment is best for hangover relief and recovery from illness.
* Slim Boost Injection, which stimulates fat-burning and promotes natural weight loss.
Keri Krug, founder and owner of The IV Bar, which opened last week in Joburg, said IV therapy was becoming very popular as it guaranteed 100% absorption rate.
“IV vitamin therapy is extremely popular internationally, where its instant benefits are popular with high-performance athletes and fitness enthusiasts, as well as among people with illnesses that impact how their bodies process and absorb nutrients.
“It’s also been shown to boost the health of fibromyalgia sufferers, reduce the effects of stress and assist with migraines and fatigue,” she said.
Krug said IV drips not only helped with hydration, improving skin tone and pigmentation, enhancing energy, and increased immunity, but also helped athletes boost their endurance and recover faster.
Drips take as little as 15-30 minutes to infuse, with dosage frequency varying according to individual needs.
“Vitamin drips are administered by a professional nurse. Clients can rest assured that they will receive their therapy in the safest and most sterile of environments, with minimum discomfort and maximum effectiveness,” she said.