CAPE TOWN - The World Health Organisation (WHO) has warned that any premature attempts to restart economies could trigger secondary peaks of the Coronavirus. This comes in the midst of growing calls in South Africa for the Nationwide lockdown to be eased. But what will it take for us to see an end to the lockdown ?
According to the WHO, countries must meet the following criteria before lifting the imposed lockdowns ;
1. Disease transmission is under control
2. Health systems are able to "detect, test, isolate and treat every case and trace every contact"
3. Hot spot risks are minimised in special settings, such as nursing homes and hospitals
4. Schools, workplaces and other places where it is essential to go have preventive measures
5. The risk of new cases can be managed
6. Communities are fully educated, engaged and empowered to adjust to the 'new norm'
Do you think South Africa meets this criteria ? share your opinion with us via Twitter : @sacoronamonitor