Washington - Guys, your skin is the first thing you see in the morning and probably one of the last things you're thinking about before going to bed.
Most men start their day by shaving and washing their faces with whatever soap is available, and that's pretty much the extent of their facial routine.
Fellas, instead of taking the easy way out, you need to start taking care of your skin with this quick and easy routine.
These simple steps will put you on your way to better feeling - and looking - skin.
1. Shaving is a big part of a man's daily routine, so don't be chintzy! Spend a little money on a tool that will be in contact with your face on the reg.
2. When choosing your shaving gel or cream, be sure to use the correct product for your skin type. This will make a huge difference in your shaving experience. You will experience less razor burn/irritation and cuts/ingrown hairs.
3. Cleanse with a gentle facial cleanser twice a day.
4. Exfoliate your skin twice a week with a gentle chemical or manual exfoliator. Skip the cleansers on these days to avoid irritation.
5. Using a cotton ball, apply aftershave or an astringent in a downward direction. This will help close the pores on your face.
6. Now you're prepped and ready for a moisturiser.
7. Apply moisturiser to your face and neck. Choose a moisturiser that is appropriate for your skin type and climate. Dab some eye cream on and slick your lips with some balm too.
8. Lastly, don't forget to to put on SPF!
* Carl Ray is a Washington celebrity and VIP makeup artist whose clients have included Paul McCartney, Bill Clinton and Kevin Kline.
* A version of this story appeared in Fashion Washington, a Washington Post fashion and lifestyle monthly magazine.