A healthy scalp means healthy hair yet people tend to focus on caring for their hair and neglecting their scalp.
The buildup from styling products and the hair’s natural oil are factors that lead to an unhealthy scalp which leads to dull, flat hair and breakage.
Hairstylist and colourist and owner of Star Style hair salon, Tracey Serfontein, tells us what the signs of an unhealthy scalp are:
- Your hair still smells even though you’ve washed it.
- Big white flakes is a sign of dandruff.
- Fine white flakes on your clothes are a sign of dry scalp.
- If there’s excess oil on the scalp.
- Your scalp itches and burns.
- The solution is to an unhealthy scalp is “scalp detoxing”.
Tracey offers the following advice on how to detox your scalp:
- Change your diet to include food rich in iron, zinc and vitamin B.
- Look out for a shampoo with a mint or tea tree to refreshes the scalp.
- Use purifying shampoo to remove excess dirt or build up.
Here is a list of purifying shampoos to try:
The Body Shop - Fuji Green Tea Refreshingly Purifying Shampoo: This shampoo is enriched with Japanese green tea to cleanse and remove impurities. (R50)
Hask Charcoal Shampoo: With Citrus Oil this shampoo is gentle enough for daily use. It contains no sulfates or parabens. (R149)
Oh So Heavenly Hair Scensations Clarifying Detox Shampoo: It is enriched with tea tree oil and mint extract and suitable for all hair types. (R65)
Tresemme Deep Cleansing Shampoo: This formula, infused with vitamin C which will cleanse your hair and leave it feeling fresh. (R80)