Braces have come a long way since the days of metallic and protruding wires. “Braces are not only for children or teens as more and more adults are seeking orthodontic treatment for a variety of reasons,” says, Dr Andre Roux, Cosmetic Dentist at the Cosmetic and Dental Emporium’s (CDE) Willowbridge, Cape Town practice.
Fixed or removable braces, are worn to gently move teeth into their correct position to give the individual a beautiful smile and resolve other issues affecting the health of teeth. There are several options when deciding what type of braces to use these days: Traditional Braces, Ceramic Braces, Damon Braces, Clear and Removable Aligners, Forsus Appliances and Palatal Expanders.
Many people need braces for many different reasons and here are 5 reasons why braces are beneficial and for all ages, by Dr Roux:
1. The cost has decrease: People still consider braces to be expensive and have viewed them as luxuries rather than a medical necessity. This has however changed, as there are more orthodontists in the industry and the prices of the products and services have come down significantly. Braces are now affordable, plus certain medical aid companies cover most of the charges.
2. Braces help improve health: Braces may help to improve oral health. Mouths with overcrowded or crooked teeth offer crevices and corners for bacteria to breed in. Bacteria in the mouth will eventually lead to problems like tooth decay, bad breaths and other periodontal diseases. Braces help avoid all this by getting the teeth back into the natural positions they are meant to be in.
3. Improve jaw movement: Ailments like Temporomandibular Joint Disorders can be very serious. These disorders arise from minor things like irregular jaw movement caused by misaligned teeth which can be corrected by braces. If neglected, misaligned teeth can cause severe pressure on the jaws and this leads to many more problems.
4.Clean teeth effortlessly: Cleaning misaligned or crooked teeth can be very difficult. Remnants of food will eventually lead to decay and cavities will set in, braces will help straighten the teeth and cleaning them will be easier and more efficient.
5. Improve self esteem: Braces are an efficient way to boost self-esteem once the final results are revealed and accentuate a smile, as it shifts teeth into the correct position.
* For more information on braces, please visit www.thecde.co.za