As of Thursday afternoon, 95% of the total Durban Port area had been declared safe for navigation of vessels.
The only area where vessel movement was still suspended, said the Transnet Port Authority (TNPA), was along the C-Shed area where sounding surveys were still in progress.
“The challenge is on the land side where terminal operators and port tenants have been affected by the inclement weather in terms of their own cargo handling capabilities, equipment and operations.”
They said marine and pilot services were at 100%.
“At Island View terminals, all berths are open. In Maydon Wharf all the berths that were used before the storm have been opened. Access to the ship repair precinct is open.
All berths but one in the RoRo precinct are accessible. As at 6pm on Thursday, all container berths are open for berthing.”
They said that in the Bluff area bulk terminal only one berth had so far been opened.
“It must be noted that although these berths are open, there are challenges where some lifting equipment is not operational due to damages incurred during the storm.”
They explained that the TNPA had a crisis management process that covered contingency plans and emergency drills that were periodically conducted.
“The team on the ground on Tuesday was made up of about 70 South African, locally trained marine workers from TNPA and South African Maritime Safety Authority (SAMSA).
“During the operation of refloating the grounded vessels we used six of our tugs and two additional tugs from private companies.”
More in The Mercury on Friday