Miami, Florida - New Sauber driver Pascal Wehrlein has been ordered to rest following a huge crash at the Race of Champions in Miami.
"I'm very sorry to withdraw from today's ROC Nations Cup,"Wehrlein said. "I'd really like to race again and I feel fine, but the doctors have advised me to rest so of course I will take their advice."
Wehrlein was involved in a spectacular crash on Saturday when he lost control of his three-wheeled Polaris Slingshot SLR, which flew through the air and landed on a wall.
"It's no more than mild discomfort but my real priority for the coming year is my Formula One season," Wehrlein said. "So while I'm sad to be missing out on all the action, I send my best wishes to my team-mate Sebastian Vettel and the rest of the competitors here in Miami and I wish them another exciting day's racing."
Wehrlein, a former Mercedes junior programme driver, drove for Manor in his 2016 debut F1 season before moving to the Swiss outfit Sauber earlier in January.