Independent Online

Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Like us on FacebookFollow us on TwitterView weather by locationView market indicators

Church death toll tentative: Radebe

A rescue worker walks on the rubble of a collapsed building belonging to the Synagogue Church of All Nations in Lagos, Nigeria. A Nigerian televangelist whose followers across Africa and beyond believe he has powers of healing and prophesy is now beset by crisis after one of his buildings collapsed, killing at least 80 people amid allegations that church officials didn't cooperate with rescuers. AP Photo/Sunday Alamba

A rescue worker walks on the rubble of a collapsed building belonging to the Synagogue Church of All Nations in Lagos, Nigeria. A Nigerian televangelist whose followers across Africa and beyond believe he has powers of healing and prophesy is now beset by crisis after one of his buildings collapsed, killing at least 80 people amid allegations that church officials didn't cooperate with rescuers. AP Photo/Sunday Alamba

Published Sep 19, 2014

Share

Pretoria - The death toll of 84 South Africans in the Nigerian church collapse remains a “tentative figure”, Presidency Minister Jeff Radebe said on Friday.

“As of yesterday evening the total number of unaccounted for South Africans and presumably deceased remains at 84,” Radebe told reporters in Pretoria.

Story continues below Advertisement

“This figure however remains tentative as it is still subject to confirmation through the forensic tests. As soon as our team have completed that verification, we will know exactly how many South Africans have perished.”

The minister, who heads an inter-ministerial task team on the disaster, said a team of senior South African rescue and forensics experts had arrived in Nigeria and started work.

“The assessment team is focusing on the following specific areas: body recovery and repatriations, victims listing and confirmation, post mortems, as well as assessment of injured persons to determine the medical condition and required levels of care.”

Radebe said government had dispatched teams to give psycho-social support to the families of the injured and deceased. Social workers were at OR Tambo International Airport, Johannesburg, to support families waiting for injured relatives.

So far no bodies had been flown back to South Africa, he added.

Asked about reports of tension between Pretoria and Abuja about rescue operations, Radebe said as far as the government knew, the South African team had been allowed onto the site where the multi-storey guest house of the Synagogue Church of All Nations collapsed last Friday.

Story continues below Advertisement

He said President Jacob Zuma had spoken to his Nigerian counterpart Goodluck Jonathan by telephone on Thursday.

“We did get information about challenges in the church there, but I think that question must be left to the Nigerian government to respond to. But as far as we are concerned the Nigerian government has communicated with our government.

“Our understanding is that right now our team has access to the site.”

Story continues below Advertisement

A total of 349 South Africans were in Lagos on church business when the building collapsed. Of these, 265 were reported to have been found alive.

Sapa

Related Topics:

Share