Harare - Two men who were arrested in connection with a blast last month at a political rally led by Zimbabwean President Emmerson Mnangagwa have been released, officials said Monday.
The two, named by police as Douglas Musekiwa and John Zulu, were arrested late last week - on suspicion of "insurgency, banditry, sabotage or terrorism" - but released Monday.
"I can confirm that two arrests were made in connection with [the] Bulawayo bomb blast and the suspects are currently helping the police with investigations," police spokesperson Charity Charamba told dpa.
Police gave little detail about the two, but said they had to be released after spending the maximum amount of time detained without charge.
Mnangagwa said the blast, which killed two people and injured more than 40, was an attempt on his life, most likely by people linked to former president Robert Mugabe.
Mnangwaga replaced Mugabe - then one of Africa's longest ruling leaders - last year after Mugabe was ousted in a military coup.