Axe family tries to get on with life
Cape Town - Relatives of the three members of the Stellenbosch family killed in an axe attack in late January are trying to get on with their lives as they wait for police to make a move.
On Friday a family spokesman said they were simply allowing police to do their work.
No arrests have been made for the murders of international businessman Martin van Breda, 55, his wife Teresa, 54, and their elder son Rudi, 22, in their upmarket De Zalze Golf Estate home.
Two members of the family survived the attack – the Van Breda’s youngest child Marli, 16, who had an axe wound to the head and a partly severed jugular, and their second son, Henri, 20.
Since the attack, which has been reported on in a number of countries, the police have refused to divulge what they suspect happened in the Van Breda home on the night of January 27.
Asked about progress in the case on Friday, police spokesman Captain Frederick van Wyk said the investigation into the murders was continuing. “There are no new developments to report,” he said.
On Friday, despite the lack of development in the case, it again made front page news with the weekly magazine You publishing a lengthy interview with Henri and Marli’s aunt, Narita du Toit.
Du Toit, Teresa van Breda’s sister, was quoted in the magazine saying she had been horrified when she read speculative media reports that Henri had been behind the attack.
“He’s a lovely child who could never do something like that. You know when a child has done something wrong. You can see it in his eyes or body language but with Henri there was nothing.
Du Toit was quoted in the magazine saying stories that Henri was on drugs, had been in rehab and a psychiatric clinic, were not true.
“Yes, he’d gone for a brain scan but that was because he often had headaches. It turned out to be only a spot on his brain.” In the You interview she said that after the murders Henri had gone for counselling because he had nightmares.
Du Toit said Marli, who had been in intensive care in hospital for a while after the attack and who she described as “a walking miracle”, could not remember anything about the night of the murders.
Du Toit said the family wanted to see someone held responsible for the murders. On Friday the Van Breda family’s spokesman Ben Rootman told Weekend Argus that they were trying to get on with their lives.
“Under the circumstances the Van Breda family is coping, getting to grips with a terrible loss but continuing with the challenges of everyday life.
“As regards the case, it has always been the family’s policy to let the law follow its course and to allow the South African Police Service to do its work,” he said.