18 december 2012 denzil adams wanted in connection with the murder of veronica dickson in woodstock.

Cape Town - Murder accused Denzil Adams was “looking for God” on the day Veronique Dickson was brutally murdered, a witness testified in Cape Town Regional Court on Thursday.

Adams, dubbed the “Houdini of Prison”, is charged with killing 27-year-old Dickson in Surrey Estate on November 22, 2012. He allegedly stabbed her more than 100 times.

On Thursday Gregory Hess, who worked at Diamond Sports Field in Surrey Estate, said Adams arrived at the field searching for work. At the time Hess was the caretaker.

He testified that Adams stayed for an hour working on the field and later returned a few times.

On November 22, Adams allegedly arrived with a cut on his left hand.

“He went to the bathroom and took too long to come out. His left hand had a cut on it and there was blood.

“I asked him what happened to his hand and he said he was attacked by three gangsters.”

Hess added that something seemed “off” about Adams and that he talked about God all the time.

“He said that he was looking for God. I could see that he was troubled.”

On Wednesday, Dr Sairita Maistry, a forensic pathologist at UCT and the Salt River Forensic Services, told the court she lost count after the 100th stab wound. She testified that there was evidence of multiple stab wounds that punctured Dickson’s right lung and liver.

The injuries sustained were mostly concentrated on the face, neck, arm, back, thighs, shin and ankle, and sizes of the cuts ranged from gaping wounds to smaller puncture marks. There were no signs of sexual assault.

The testimony brought tears to family and friends in the gallery.

Monique Adams, wife of the accused who also testified on Wednesday, said she grew up with Dickson.

Adams told the court about an incident in which Denzil allegedly stood outside their home for two hours “waiting for God”.

She said he “turned to the Bible” in 2010 to make amends for the “mental and physical abuse” she and her children suffered at his hands.

The trial continues on Friday.

[email protected]

Cape Argus