Cape Town - A 12-year-old boy, who has been accused of being part of a rape attack involving three girls at a Mitchells Plain tuck shop, will be writing his exams at home.
The Western Cape Education Department on Thursday confirmed the boy had been removed from school following a protest by the girls’ parents and community members.
The girls told police the boy had lured them to the tuckshop in Rocklands, and had also raped them, along with the Somali shop owner, who is still on the run.
Residents protested outside the shop last week and the boy, who lives at the premises, was taken away by cops and placed in a safe house.
The girls, aged 11 and 12, who are in the same class as the boy, “were freaked out” when the boy returned to school with them on Monday.
Police said the boy had not been arrested or charged with any crime.
Following the protest, the boy will stay at home for his own safety, says Jessica Shelver, the spokesperson for Education MEC Debbie Schäfer.
“We have made provision for the learner to write at home with an invigilator present. There is no evidence against the alleged perpetrator,” said Shelver.
“The school has requested the learner stay at home as a precaution while the matter is investigated.”
The 11-year-old girl’s father, 40, says they are pleased with the decision: “I am glad that my child can feel safe and write her exams without being stared at by this boy.”