Cape Town - Police arrested six people over the weekend for allegedly robbing motorists, including an SAA crew member, on the N2 in the past few months.

Motorists were robbed after being forced to stop because of concrete blocks placed on the N2.

Lieutenant-Colonel Andrè Traut said there had been two incidents last week.

“Border policing received information from their crime intelligence colleagues about a possible suspect held by members of the local community in Gugulethu, and that he was involved in the recent attacks on the N2.”

The man was arrested and led the police to four other suspects in Sipbo Park flats.

“The men were found working on a motor vehicle. One suspect fired a shot at the police but fortunately missed,” said Traut. The four were arrested.

Further investigations led to another arrest.

“We have reason to believe that these suspects were responsible for a number of robberies which were perpetrated on the N2, however the circumstances are currently under investigation.

The suspects, aged between 23 and 36, would be held in custody until their court appearance in Athlone,” Traut said.

Last month SAA cabin crew member Wesley Ford was left shaken and slightly injured in an attempted robbery.

According to reports he was forced to stop his car after rocks were placed on the N2 near the airport turnoff on July 2.

Two days earlier SAA pilot Archie Bell narrowly escaped being robbed when his vehicle hit a box containing a chunk of concrete, puncturing a front tyre.

He was phoning for assistance when three men approached him.

A truck driver came to his rescue and the men fled.

In a separate operation on Sunday, the police arrested five people in Ocean View for the possession of drugs, one for dealing in drugs and another for dealing in liquor without a licence.

The drug haul included one parcel of dagga, 19 packets of tik, crushed Mandrax, 263.65 litres of liquor and cash.

On Friday night the police arrested five suspects for armed robbery in Brackenfell.

They allegedly entered a fast food outlet and stole cash. The manager activated the panic alarm and the swift reaction from security personnel resulted in all five being arrested.

They are due in court on Monday to face charges of armed robbery and the possession of an illegal firearm and ammunition.

[email protected]

Cape Argus