Cape Town-140323-Family, friends & members of the ANC, gather at the home of Amanda Hlanjwa [alseep on bed] in Delft South; to mounre the death of her 9 year old daughter [Elihle Hlanjwa], who died at Red Cross Childrens Hospital last week, 2 months after she was raped & set alight. Grandmother: Margaret Mbolekwa & grandson: Avumile Jozi [right of frame]. Reporter: Natasha P, Photo: Ross Jansen

Cape Town -

As the court appearance of the man accused of raping and setting alight a nine-year-old Delft girl draws closer, the girl’s family were visited by politicians and NGOs offering donations.

Wanda Oliphant, 27, is set to appear in the Bellville Magistrate’s Court this week in connection with the killing and rape of Elihle Hlanjwa.

Elihle, known as “Queenie” to relatives and friends, died at the Red Cross Children’s Hospital last Tuesday. She spent two months in hospital after being raped and set alight on January 18. The day after her attack she was found alive on the R300.

She told residents she had recognised the man who raped her and that he had laughed as he set her alight. Oliphant was later arrested.

He now faces a rape and murder charge, instead of an attempted murder charge.

The family were visited this weekend by ANC officials and have received donations from at least two faith-based groups.

Among the representatives, relatives and residents who filled the home in Debussy Street on Sunday was Deputy Minister for Human Settlements Zoliswa Kota Fredericks.

Fredericks said she had come to offer her condolences. She said she was not there to make promises of donations to the family but to “hold their hands”.

Earlier, she told residents: “It’s not about who or which political party is here, at the end of the day it’s about the safety of this family and the healing process.”

Elihle’s grandmother Margaret Mbolekwa said they were happy to receive the donations because neither her nor her daughter had jobs.

The family would begin making arrangements for the funeral on Monday, Mbolekwa said.

She said the family did not want bail for the alleged perpetrator.

“We want this to be finished.”

[email protected]

Cape Argus