Traffic officer Wesley Woodman's funeral will be held in Bothasig this weekend. File photo: Supplied

Cape Town - The family of slain traffic officer Wesley Woodman, who was shot dead while issuing a fine to an alleged gangster last week, say they are battling to come to terms with the tragedy.

Woodman, 35, was shot while he was issuing a traffic fine to Shuaib Arafdien for a broken tail-light in Prince George Drive, near Lavender Hill.

Arafdien, an alleged member of the Junkie Funkies gang, was also shot dead.

Craig Woodman, the officer’s older brother, said it was extremely difficult to accept what had happened.

“His kids loved their dad to bits and he was their hero.

“The family is not doing well as they’re battling to come to terms with the tragic and sudden death of Wesley.”


One of two children, Wesley grew up in Athlone, going to Garlandale Primary and then Garlandale Secondary, from where he matriculated in 1996.

“He was in the First Athlone Boy Scouts,” recalls Craig.

“Wesley loved cricket and rugby and he also enjoyed building model jets and airplanes, and on occasion he loved to unwind in front of the TV playing X-Box games.”

He added that his younger brother was joyful and polite, but also had a serious side to him.

“He loved his job and had a real passion for what he was doing.

“Wesley joined the force in 1999, something he always wanted to do, and served for 14 years.”

He added that Wesley doted on his family and would do anything to ensure their happiness.

Woodman leaves behind his wife Colleen and three children - Jenna-Beth, 10, four-year-old Jared and three-year-old Cole.

His funeral will take place at St John’s Church in Bothasig on Saturday.

Meanwhile, two men have been arrested in connection with the murder.

On Friday, Quinton Ashley Cordom, 26, made his first court appearance.

He allegedly made a confession to police and also led them to the murder weapon as well as Woodman’s service pistol.

Cordom allegedly gave the firearms to Sherwin Patric Cupido, 20, who was also arrested and had since been released on bail. - Cape Argus