Johannes de Jager remains in police custody following the murder of teenager Charmaine Mare. Photo: Daily Voice

Cape Town - The Ruyterwacht man accused of murdering 16-year-old Charmaine Mare in Kraaifontein has appeared in the Atlantis Regional Court in connection with the rape and murder of another teenage girl.

Johannes de Jager, 48 was brought back to court on Monday after the police rearrested him on Friday on allegations that he raped and strangled Hiltina Alexander, 18, in May 2008.

A passer-by found Alexander’s body dumped near the Frankdale informal settlement in Philadelphia - just outside Atlantis.

No one came forward to say that Alexander was missing and police did not have any suspects.

Two witnesses, however, noticed De Jager’s bakkie near the scene and took down his registration number.

He was arrested and blood was drawn and sent for analysis. De Jager’s DNA had matched the specimen found on Alexander.

During the trial De Jager admitted he’d had sex with Alexander. He claimed she was a prostitute.

He denied raping and murdering her. He was released after witnesses did not show up at court.

De Jager made headlines last month when he was charged in connection with Mare’s murder.

Mare, from Mpumalanga, had been visiting a friend in Kraaifontein from January 3.

Her friend’s mother was De Jager’s girlfriend.

Mare’s friend and the friend’s mother had arranged to go on a boat cruise between Cape Town and Namibia, and left Mare with De Jager.

De Jager is alleged to have killed Mare. Her arms and legs were cut off.

He is alleged to have hidden the limbs, along with Mare’s torso, in a drain near the Kraaifontein home.

Mare’s torso was dumped in a field across the road from a shooting range in Kraaifontein, and her legs beside a bridge on Macassar Road.

Her arms were found in the garage of the Kraaifontein house.

He is expected to apply for bail in the Blue Downs Magistrate’s Court on Thursday.

On Monday, prosecutor Anneka Snyman told the court that senior prosecutors at the Blue Downs and Cape Town courts had to decide whether to join the two cases against De Jager.

De Jager is to remain in custody at Pollsmoor Prison until his next appearance in Atlantis on March 18.

[email protected]

Cape Argus