Molemo Jub Jub Maarohanye arrives in court where he and and co accused Themba Tshabalala are to listen to the judgement on the ten counts they are facing . 101012 Picture: Boxer Ngwenya

Johannesburg - Convicted murderer Molemo “Jub Jub” Maarohanye told the Protea Magistrate's Court on Wednesday his trial has been media-driven, and that the media had misled the public.

“This case has been driven by the media and the media has misled a lot of people,” Maarohanye said while on the stand during his sentencing procedure.

“A lot of what is said in the media is wrong - it's the truth, the media knows it themselves.”

Maarohanye told the court the media reported he was drunk and driving under the influence of drugs even before he was tested.

On October 16, Magistrate Brian Nemavhidi found Maarohanye and Themba Tshabalala guilty on four counts of murder, two of attempted murder, using drugs, racing on a public road, and driving under the influence of drugs.

Maarohanye and Tshabalala were drag-racing in Protea North on March 8, 2010 when they crashed into a group of schoolboys, killing four and severely injuring two.

Maarohanye told the court he was never given an opportunity to apologise to the boys' families.

Prosecutor Raymond Mathenjwa, asked Maarohanye why he had stated under oath during the trial that he never used drugs and only saw it on television, but told a social worker he used ecstasy.

“I had a lot of time to reflect on what happened when I was in correctional services... I took ecstasy once or twice a long time ago,” Maarohanye said.

“I said I never took the drugs that were found in my urine.”

Mathenjwa said Maarohanye blamed everyone for what happened and never took responsibility for his actions.

“You are in constant denial, and [are] not remorseful,” Mathenjwa said.

He went on to question Maarohanye on the difference between being regretful and remorseful.

Maarohanye responded: “It has been brought to my attention that I have not been remorseful.”

Mathenjwa asked why he was apologising on Wednesday.

“I'm apologising because I'm human -- I have feelings and feel bad about the tragedy,” said Maarohanye.

There were a few comments from the packed public gallery when Maarohanye apologised, with a few family members shaking their heads.

The courtroom was packed, with many people standing. A few schoolchildren, dressed in uniform, were present in court as well.

Earlier, the emotional musician told the court that if he was given a suspended sentence he would establish a trust fund to benefit the families of the schoolboys.

Maarohanye, lead by his attorney Rudi Krause, read an affidavit that was drafted while in prison.

He told the court that the nation was hurt by the accident and that he never planned for the accident to happen.

“The incident changed my life forever and would continue to do so,” Maarohanye read.

Tshabalala's defence indicated they would not call any witnesses.

Sentencing procedures continue, with the State calling witnesses. - Sapa