Johannesburg - The case against an Eastern Cape mother accused of fatally stabbing a man and wounding two others after finding them allegedly raping her daughter has been dropped.
This was confirmed by the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) on Monday.
The woman found the three men allegedly raping her 27-year-old daughter at an unoccupied house at Zwartwater near Komani in September. This after the friend of her daughter alerted her of the alleged crime.
“I was armed with a knife to protect myself. I stabbed the first one, stabbed the second one and also stabbed the third while he was trying to run away,” the mother told Independent Media days after the stabbing.
The woman may not be named to protect the identity of the daughter, but she has become known as #LionMama.
One of the men died while two brothers from Qumbu Location in Zwartwater were hospitalised.
The 55-year-old mother was charged with one count of murder and two counts of attempted murder.
NPA spokesperson Luxolo Tyali confirmed on Monday that the charges against the woman had been dropped.
"The matter was referred to the senior prosecutor due to the complexities around the matter," Tyali said.
"Following further investigation, the prosecutor then considered all the evidence and decided to drop the charges against the woman."
He did however say that the NPA had submitted dockets to the magistrate with the view of holding an inquest into the deceased man's death.
He also confirmed that the case against the two remaining suspects would continue, saying that they would appear in court on October 12 on rape charges.