Cape Town - After nearly two years of delays, the case of an Atlantis mother who allegedly prostituted her teenage daughter along the N7 highway was postponed in the Cape Town Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday morning.
The case was postponed because an attorney for one of the accused could not make it to court.
A group of protesters from the Atlantis community and DA Women Network, who picketed outside the court, vowed to return on Wednesday.
The mother stands accused with four alleged accomplices – her husband (the girl’s stepfather) and three women. The women allegedly assisted in pimping out the girl to their own pay-for-sex customers.
Barbara Rass led the protest.
Rass was involved in supporting the girl at her self-run House of Healing shelter, after she was rescued by police in 2012. Today, the girl, 14 resides at a “place of safety” in Cape Town.
“I still have vivid memories of that time. She was so psychologically damaged that she had nightmares every time she slept. When I brought her a chocolate, she was amazed. She told me that she had only ever gotten a chocolate from her mother after customers had paid for raping her.”
Rass said that the girl had been sexually abused since the age of nine.
Court documents at the five accused’s second appearance, in December 2012, showed the mother had “sold” her daughter for R100, R50 and R20 and watched while a number of men raped her in a secluded park or bushy area.