File picture: Independent Media

Johannesburg - A community in Ekurhuleni has been left reeling following news of the death of a 13-year-old boy allegedly as a result of bullying. 

Louis de Jonge, from Crystal Park, passed away after allegedly being repeatedly bullied at Noorderlig Gekombineerde Skool in Benoni. 

According to family spokesperson Crystal Osborne, the Grade 7 pupil, one of three siblings, had been attacked on three occasions in September alone. 

"Both Louis and his brother were attacked on September 5, again on the 14th... and then again on Friday, September 15."

"He came home after he had been kicked in the head by the same boys [who had previously] threatened to kick a ball against his head."

Complaining that he wasn't feeling well, de Jonge then got into bed and was then given medication by his mother. 

The following Monday, a still sick de Jonge remained at home while his mother went to work and on Tuesday, his mother was then informed by her daughter that de Jonge had passed away.

Osborne added that de Jonge's parents had visited the school several times to try and deal with the matter, to no avail. 

"Everytime the family complained or sent emails, the school just brushed it under the carpet," she said. 

She confirmed that the matter had been reported to the police and was currently under investigation. 

Police spokesperson Colonel Mack Mngomezulu confirmed the incident and that an inquest has been opened. 

"We're still awaiting the post mortem results but we can confirm that there is an investigation into the matter," he said.

Osborne said the death of de Jonge had since prompted the family and community to create more awareness on bullying and help those affected by it.