Johannesburg - Former deputy Minister of Higher Education Mduduzi Manana has once again apologised to the victims of his attack.
This after he pleaded guilty to three counts of assault with the intent to cause grievous bodily harm over his assault of two women at a Fourways club last month.
Speaking after his appearance at the Randburg Magistrate's court, Manana apologised to the women and South Africans for his actions.
"I expect to have an engagement to apologise formally once this process has come to some sort of finality. But once again, I truly apologise to the nation, to women of South Africa and to the victims.
"As I've already indicated, I take full responsibility for my actions and I intend, have started, to do something about it."
Pictures of Mandisa Duma's beaten face and a video of her being assaulted by Manana at Cubana in Fourways, Johannesburg went viral on social media last month. Her friends, Thina Mopipa and Noluthando Mahlaba, were also assaulted by Manana that evening.
Earlier Magistrate Ramsamy Reddy asked Manana whether he heard the charges against him.
"Yes,I plead guilty," Manana told the court.
In an affidavit read by Michael Motswaneng Bill, for Manana, the politician said the three women joined him and his friends at their table at the nightspot when a debate began. One of the ladies started taking a video of him.
Manana said that Mahlaba uttered the words "who do you think you are s'tabane (derogatory term for gay)" after which he asked who invited the three women to join them. It was at this point he slapped her and pulled her to the ground. A fight broke out before he also assaulted Duma and Mopipa.
Reddy said that the court was satisfied and found Manana guilty.
State prosecutor Anne-Marie Smith requested a postponement for witness impact reports and a correctional supervision report to be used during sentencing proceedings.
Manana is currently out on R5000 bail.
The case was postponed to November 7 for pre-sentencing proceedings.
Earlier, in a dramatic twist of events, police confirmed the arrest of a second suspect linked to the assault incident.
The man was arrested while waiting for court proceedings to get underway after one of Manana's alleged victims pointed him out to police officers.
He was detained and subsequently charged with assault GBH.
National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson Phindi Mjonondwana added that a third suspect has since handed himself over to police after he was requested to do so.
Watch his apology below:
IOL and ANA