Johannesburg - The Democratic Alliance (DA) has given the board of the SABC until Monday to respond fully on the status of beleaguered chief operating officer Hlaudi Motsoeneng whose appointment has been set aside by the Supreme Court of Appeal.
This came after reports that the board was considering hiring Motsoeneng as COO again. A draft resolution asking Communications Minister Faith Muthambi to reappoint Motsoeneng in an acting capacity would be tabled at a next board meeting in October for ratification, according to The Times newspaper on Thursday.
The newspaper said a draft resolution was sent to board members on Monday for approval.
The DA asked the SABC to clarify Motsoeneng’s position and when he was appointed. The party further inquired whether another person has been appointed to act as COO and the name of that person.
“The SABC has been given until Monday, 26 September 2016, to respond to this request. Hlaudi Motsoeneng and the SABC must now comply with the judgment of the Western Cape High Court. Failure to do so will leave the DA with no other option but to pursue the matter further,” said chairman of the DA federal executive James Selfe.
Motsoeneng reported for work as “an ordinary employee” on Tuesday following the SCA judgment. His lawyer Zola Majavu said it was up to the board to decide on what to do with Motsoeneng, and that his client would not seek further legal reprieve through the courts.
Last year, Judge Dennis Davis ruled in the Western Cape High Court that given the adverse findings of Public Protector Thuli Madonsela against Motsoeneng, it had been irrational on the part of Communications Minister Faith Muthambi to appoint him as COO in a permanent capacity.
The DA, which brought the application that resulted in that ruling, said the SCA’s decision meant the SABC had to remove Motsoeneng.