Two children aged 2 and 3 were found dead in a toilet in Diepsloot extension 1 this morning, a massive man hunt is underway. Picture: Antoine de Ras, 15/10/13

Johannesburg - Police Minister Nathi Mthethwa has condemned the murders of two Diepsloot children.

“I have tasked the police management to hunt whoever committed this gruesome act,” he said on Wednesday

Two-year-old Yonelisa Mali and her cousin Zandile Mali, three, were found dead in a toilet cubicle at 5am on Tuesday by a resident of Diepsloot.

Mthethwa appealed to residents to work with the police to fight crime.

“The disturbing scenes which we witnessed cannot be condoned. We condemn any form of mob justice,” said Mthethwa.

Mthethwa said the police were stepping up the war against the perpetrators of crimes against children.

Children Minister Lulu Xingwana said the Diepsloot murders were senseless and inexcusable.

“As a society, parents, mothers and fathers we should be deeply concerned about these heinous crimes against children, that are happening around us, in our communities.”

Lt-Col Lungelo Dlamini said three people had already been taken in for questioning.

“Police are still searching for a fourth person in connection with the kidnapping and murder of two girls,” he said.

Dlamini said the police were investigating whether the killings were linked to that of a five-year-old girl in the same area in September. Police suspected she had been sexually violated and strangled.

Sapa