Durban man robbed in life and in death

Christoffel 'Bob' Heunis was shot and killed during a home invasion in Seaview.

Christoffel 'Bob' Heunis was shot and killed during a home invasion in Seaview.

Published Apr 21, 2013


Christoffel “Bob” Heunis was robbed twice - in life and in death.

The 67-year-old Durban father was shot and killed by robbers who broke into his Seaview home on April 8.

And if that wasn’t enough, the robbers returned on the day of his funeral and stole his wife’s car and other household goods.

Heunis’s son, also named Christoffel, said he could not believe the audacity of the criminals.


“It was around 8pm. My mom and dad were in the main house. The dogs were inside the house, when they started barking wildly. He took his gun and followed the dogs outside only to be confronted by gunmen who were in our property.”

Christoffel junior had just showered when he heard gunshots.

“I heard around five or six shots fired. The next thing I heard was my mother screaming, ‘Your dad is dead.’ I rushed outside and found him lying on the ground. They stole his firearm and ran away.”

During his father’s memorial service on April 12 at a local church 8km away the robbers returned and ransacked the house.

“We had left very early because my mother had to do the flower arrangements,” he said.

Immediately after the service the family received a call from a neighbour telling them their car had been stolen.

“Our neighbour told us he saw my mom’s car, which was parked in the driveway, being driven down the road.

“I initially thought they took the car only. But when I got to the house I found the back door opened. The cupboards were open. The house was a mess.

“They took computers, laptops, jewellery and anything of value they could find.”

The next day they tried to break in again.

“We were at my sister’s house when they tried to rob us again. Fortunately my brother-in-law had hired a security guard who screamed for help.

“You would think these guys wouldn’t come back,” said Heunis.

The family was still coming to terms with the tragedy.

“It’s a very tough and emotional time.

“We’ve received tremendous support from our family. A home security system was installed free of charge by a security company.”

He praised his father’s courage.

“He had no fear. My view is that he saved us from being killed,” he said.

The family will be moving house.

“We won’t stay here. We’re not sure where we are going to go but we are considering our options,” he said.

Police spokesman Captain Thulani Zwane confirmed the case of murder, house breaking and theft of motor vehicle. He said no arrests have been made. - Sunday Tribune

Related Topics: