NAZEEMA AHMED, MD OF THE PARAFFIN SAFETY ASSOCIATIONJ OF SOUTH AFRICA WITH A PRIMUS PARAFFIN PRESSURE STOVE STORY CANDICE BAILEY, PICTURES LEON MULLER 1-4-2004 NAZEEMA AHMED D86

Two Johannesburg fires were caused by faulty primus stoves on Tuesday morning, emergency services said.

In the first fire, a primus stove exploded in Alexandra township.

“Eight shacks were burnt,” said Johannesburg emergency services spokesman Synock Matobako.

In the second incident, a primus stove exploded in Kya Sands.

“Eight rooms were gutted in the fire.”

Nobody was injured in either fires.

Matobako urged people buying primus stoves to check if they were approved by the SA Bureau of Standards.

“We have seen a lot of illegal equipment flooding into South Africa,” he said. - Sapa