Cape Town - Head of AfriForum's private prosecuting unit, Advocate Gerrie Nel announced on Tuesday that the civil rights group has instituted legal action to prosecute President Jacob Zuma's son, Duduzane.
"We have assisted the Dube family to submit an application for a nolle prosequi certificate earlier on Tuesday morning, to prosecute Mr Duduzane Zuma on a charge of culpable homicide," Nel told journalists in Pretoria.
The certificate must be issued by the Director of Public Prosecutions, as a prerequisite for a private prosecution as it indicates that the State will not pursue the case.
The case relates to a car accident on February 1, 2014 on the M1 highway in Gauteng in which Duduzane was involved. A young female passenger, Phumzile Dube, who was travelling in a taxi, was killed in the accident.
The National Prosecuting Authority, in August 2015, decided not to prosecute Duduzane, despite the findings of an inquest that the President's son was negligent in the accident.
“He failed to conduct himself in a reasonable manner under the circumstances,” Randburg Magistrate's Court Magistrate Lolita Chetty said at the time.
Duduzane's car rear-ended Jabulani Vusi Dlamini's minibus taxi on the M1 South off-ramp to Grayston Drive in Sandton. Dube was killed and three other passengers were injured.
During the inquest, Zuma said he lost control of his Porsche after it hit a puddle in rainy conditions.
African news Agency