North West - While parents and teachers at the Sanddrift Primary School in Brits held an emergency meeting on Wednesday to discuss the best way to have their headmaster removed from his post, he was in court to pay a fine for assaulting one of his pupils.
Headmaster Deon Venter's office was empty, but he did send an SMS to the school governing body on Wednesday to say he was “also not returning to school”, Beeld reported.
He allegedly beat a child in June 2011, and on Wednesday paid a R2 000 fine.
The incident was just the tip of the iceberg, according to the outraged parents and teachers, who have been battling to get Venter removed from his post for 12 years.
The North West education department held a disciplinary hearing in October 2011, at which time Venter was demoted, but he subsequently lodged an appeal, and since then has still occupied his post.
Parents' complaints against Venter range from incompetence to wrongful expenditure of school funds, high claims for travel costs and a lack of dedication to the school.
Education department spokeswoman Bayanda Zimzela, told Beeld that the department was waiting for the outcome of Venter's appeal. She was unable to say why this had taken over 11 months.
Beeld tried to contact Venter on Tuesday, but he reportedly told them they had the wrong number, and did not answer calls again. - Sapa