Hijacked Cape Town man dies
Cape Town - A Strandfontein resident hijacked, stabbed multiple times and left in a derelict building in the area, died on Saturday after spending more than a month in a coma.
The three men arrested for allegedly attacking Chad Baron, 26, may now face murder charges rather than attempted murder.
On Saturday night police spokesman Colonel Tembinkosi Kinana confirmed the trio would probably face more serious charges.
Baron was attacked last month in an incident that angered Strandfontein residents. They plan to picket at the Mitchells Plain Magistrate’s court when the accused next appear.
Baron had been at a farewell party on June 8 and was hijacked on his way home to Strandfontein.
His car was later found in Bishop Lavis and, in the hours he had been missing, his friends had taken to Facebook in a desperate bid to find him. The next day he was found with numerous wounds.
Baron had been stabbed at least 10 times, beaten with a brick and left for dead in a derelict building in Camp Road, known as “the pink building” and a criminal hideout.
On Saturday night the Strandfontein community policing forum’s Sandy Schutter said residents had hoped Baron would pull through.
“This is really sad. We actually thought he was going to make it. But he was in a coma for more than 31 days,” she said.
Baron died in hospital.
Schutter said the derelict building Baron was found in, which had no roof and broken doors, had been a problem in the community for years.
“It’s not the first time criminal action has taken place there. Criminals hide in there,” she said.
Residents want the building demolished and Schutter said they had approached their ward councillor about it.
She said the men who were arrested on suspicion of attacking Chad were known in the community.