‘It’s like a dog was killed no one cares’

By Siyabonga Kalipa Time of article published Oct 16, 2016

Share this article:

Cape Town - It’s been more than seven months since police shot at Nando’s and McDonald’s workers, killing three people and the families of the deceased still have no closure.

In February Phumeza Fudumele, who worked at Nando’s in Sunningdale, Cape Town, was killed when police allegedly opened fire on a taxi transporting staff to Dunoon. One other worker was injured.

A few weeks later McDonald’s workers in Kuils River came under fire after their taxi was mistaken for one suspected of being involved in an armed robbery.

Noxolo Skota and a colleague died at the scene and six others were wounded.

Fudumele’s mother Thozama Fudumele said no authorities have contacted her since her daughter’s death.

“It’s like a dog was killed no one cares what happens afterwards. Even dogs have rights these day. I just want to move on with my life,” she said.

Skota’s brother said he last spoke to the police soon after his sister’s death.

“All we want as a family is closure knowing that those that killed my sister are behind bars,” said Skota.

Nando’s said in a statement: “Our legal team met with advocate Willem Tarantal of the Directorate of Public Prosecutions... (who) advised that they had received the docket from the Independent Complaints Directorate and the investigation had not yet been finalised.

“Tarantal assured us that the matter was receiving the urgent attention of the DPP and the investigation ought to be finalised by no later than November 18, 2016.”

McDonald's said in a statement: “A law firm was appointed and the necessary claims have been submitted on their behalf. We will continue to assist the relevant authorities in their investigation.”

Independent Police Investigative Directorate spokesperson Robbie Raburabu said in the Nando’s matter the case has been sent to the NPA for a decision, while in the McDonald’s matter there were still statements from certain police officers outstanding and the families in both matters had been accordingly updated.

He said there would be no arrests in either case until the Director of Public Prosecutions has made a pronouncement on them.

Weekend Argus

[email protected]

Share this article: