New twist in Henning murder case
Share this article:
Johannesburg - The Chanelle Henning murder trial took a new turn on Wednesday when one of the killers offered to help with investigations into who else was involved in the crime.
Prosecutor Gerrie Nel disclosed this to the High Court in Pretoria as sentencing proceedings were about to get underway.
He asked the court to remove one of the convicted, Andre Gouws, to the Villieria police station so that he could consult his attorney.
The matter was postponed to December 5.
The court had been scheduled to start hearing sentencing proceedings on Wednesday after finding Gouws and former Nigerian Olympic athlete Ambrose Monye guilty of the contract murder of Henning.
Henning, 26, was shot dead in Faerie Glen in November 2011, shortly after dropping off her child at creche.
Gouws and Monye had pleaded not guilty to five charges relating to an alleged conspiracy to commit the murder.
The State had argued that Monye and Gouws conspired with former policeman Gerhardus “Doepie” du Plessis and Willem “Pike” Pieterse (alias Tattoo).
Du Plessis and Pieterse are serving 18-year prison terms after confessing to their roles in the murder.
In his testimony, Gouws admitted that Chanelle's husband, Nico Henning asked him to watch her to see if she used drugs.
The couple was going through a divorce and was fighing about custody of their child.
Henning's mother, Sharon Saincic, said it was a bitter-sweet day for her and that she missed her daughter terribly and nothing would bring her back.
Her father, Ivan, said this was the first good thing Gouws had done up to now and he was very happy about the new development. - Sapa