File photo: INLSA
There are six days to go before the much anticipated 54th ANC elective conference at Nasrec Expo Centre. 

Nasrec is located behind Joburg’s mega venue, the FNB Stadium, and is close to parts of Soweto, including Diepkloof and Orlando and the suburbs of Ridgeway and Mondeor. 

More than 6 000 people, including ANC delegates, the media, interested parties and various service providers are expected to gather at the elective conference that will start on Saturday. 

The front-runners for the ANC's top job are Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa and Nkosazana Dlamini Zuma. 

After the nominations were tallied this week, Ramaphosa had been nominated by five provinces – Gauteng, Limpopo, Northern Cape, Western Cape and Eastern Cape. 

KwaZuluNatal, North West, Free State and Mpumalanga preferred Dlamini Zuma as the new leader.



How voting at the ANC conference works:

At the  ANC elective conference  delegates vote for the top six positions as well as for the 80 addtional elected members of the National Executive Committee. 

5240 delegates will be voting on Saturday, of which 90% consists of branch delegates while the remaining 10% is made up of the women’s, youth and veterans' leagues, representatives from each provincial executive committee and the National Executive Committee.

Each branch is allowed one delegate per hundred members. So branches with bigger memberships can send more than one delegate.

KwaZulu-Natal, Mpumalanga and the Eastern Cape have the highest numbers of delegates.

PECs will be allowed 27 delegates per province while each league gets 60.

Delegates are meant to vote with the mandate they received from their branches, even if it differs from their province's preferred candidate.

After all the votes are in, counting will begin under the eyes of party observers and Independent Electoral Commission officials, while the rest of the conference continues debating and adopting the policies proposed at the party’s policy conference six months ago.

The results will be announced once counting is completed, including of the top six and the rest of the National Executive Committee.

Weekend Argus