SA Communications Minister Mmamoloko Kubayi-Ngubane. PHOTO: ANA

Johannesburg - The Minister of Communications, Mmamoloko Kubayi-Ngubane, on Wednesday called on all stakeholders at the South African Broadcasting Corporation  (SABC) to engage in a peaceful and constructive wage negotiations.

The Communication Workers Union (CWU) and the Broadcasting, Electronic, Media and Allied Workers Union (BEMAWU) rejected the SABC's  latest 4.5 percent wage offer and threatened to resume the strike action over wage disputes on Thursday.

The unions went on strike last month after negotiations deadlock as they were demanding a 10 percent salary increase backdated to April from the cash-strapped public broadcaster. 

In a statement, Kubayi-Ngubane said she respects the Constitutional right of workers to embark on a protest action and believes that peaceful wage increase negotiations should not be subordinated to strike action.

She said the SABC has a public mandate to provide citizens with information regarding various issues in the society.

Kubayi-Ngubane implored the workers and the unions to allow for an amicable solution to be found on the negotiation table and to try by all means to avoid any disruptions to the day to day operations.

“The SABC has experienced revenue loss in the past, as a result the current financial situation at the broadcasting corporation is untenable. It is my plea that all parties involved in the negotiation process should avoid engaging in any activities that could lead to further revenue loss," Kubayi-Ngubane said.

Kubayi-Ngubane also appealed for patience to allow the negotiations and consultation process to unfold in a much more balanced manner thus taking into account all factors and concerns raised by all parties.

African News Agency/ANA