Johannesburg - Cosatu has lashed out at the SABC’s board for allowing the broadcaster to be used for “factional political purposes”.
The federation said on Wednesday that the board’s defiance campaign had eroded the public broadcaster's reputation.
This follows growing calls for the SABC board to be disbanded after former chief operations officer Hlaudi Motsoeneng was reappointed in his previous position as the SABC’s head of corporate affairs. This was after Motsoeneng's appointment as chief operations officer was deemed unlawful by the Supreme Court of Appeal.
The SABC appeared before Parliament’s communication committee on Wednesday where it was grilled on Motsoeneng’s role and appointments.
Cosatu general secretary Bheki Ntshalinstali told reporters that the SABC board should act within the law and adhere to court rulings.
“From the minister of communications to the board we believe that they are acting for their own political purposes and should adhere to the judgment by the courts,” said Ntshalinstali.
Last week, the ANC' chief whip Jackson Mthembu spoke out against developments at the SABC and said Motsoeneng's reappointment needed to be addressed swiftly.
Read also: R550m lawsuit adds to SABC’s financial woes
Mthembu also questioned why the board did not follow proper processes in appointing Motsoeneng such as advertising the post.