Cape Town - Finance Minister Malusi Gigaba says his hands are clean of any involvement in state capture activities involving the controversial Gupta family.
Gigaba used his post-budget briefing on Thursday morning to shake off accusations that he had played a role in assisting the Guptas in capturing various State-Owned Enterprises (SOEs).
On Wednesday, the minister faced a barrage of questions from DA Chief Whip John Steenhuisen who objected to Gigaba presenting the budget because he had been found to have lied under oath in court.
The EFF also objected to Gigaba being the one to set out the country’s financial plans for the year, and the party decided to instead boycott the presentation as it believed that Gigaba was not fit to be in charge of the department.
Claims of Gigaba’s involvement have been mentioned a number of times as the evidence against the Gupta family’s corrupt dealings with some government entities has been revealed.
Some of the allegations levelled against him were that he played an instrumental part in appointing Gupta-linked board members of SOEs when he was the minister of public enterprises.
Gigaba has also been heavily criticised for awarding the Gupta family naturalisation status when he was the minster of home affairs.
But Gigaba said that he had done nothing wrong.
“The report of the Public Protector made no mention of me, the inquiry in Parliament of Eskom did not call me to come and testify,” said Gigaba.
“The things that are subjects of discussions, are things that took place after I was minister of public enterprises, while I was at Home Affairs from 2015 onward.
"That is why I have not been called. Brian Dames came to the inquiry in Parliament and did not say that the minister of public enterprises said I must do this or introduced me to so and so. So, what are we talking about?” he asked.
Gigaba said that there is support for the commission of inquiry in state capture and that would allow the opportunity for all parties to air their views.
He said he was not afraid of the possibility that he might be booted out as part of President Cyril Ramaphosa’s much anticipated Cabinet reshuffle.
“None of us should feel that we are entitled to any position, nobody was born for a ministerial position. We all serve at the pleasure of the President.
"He appoints and reshuffles his Cabinet. The President puts together his team to serve the nation,” he said.