Police Minister Fikile Mbalula presented the 2016/17 crime statistics report in Parliament on Tuesday.
Below are ten of the most important statistics from his report:
* In 2016/2017 financial year, approximately 2.1 million serious crime counts were recorded, of which 1 738 980 were community-reported serious crimes.
* Serious crime decreased by 1.8 percent on the previous year.
* The murder rate is up by 1.8 percent
* Carjacking has increased by 14.5 percent
* Sexual offences decreased by 4.3 percent
* Assault GBH down by 6.7 percent
* Aggravated robbery increased by 6.4 percent
* Robbery decreased by 1.3 percent
* Common assault decreased by 5.2 percent
* Attempted murder down by 0.4 percent