Andrew Chimboza has pleaded guilty to the murder as part of a plea agreement.
Andrew Chimboza has pleaded guilty to the murder as part of a plea agreement.

Psychologist to draw up ‘cannibal’ report

By Jenna Etheridge Time of article published Feb 4, 2015

Share this article:

Cape Town - A forensic report offering insight into why Andrew Chimboza killed a man and allegedly ate his heart will be presented to the Western Cape High Court next month.

Judge Ashley Binns-Ward heard on Wednesday that a clinical psychologist in Pretoria had offered his assistance.

The psychologist is Major Hayden Knibbs of the SA Police Service's investigative psychology unit.

“He needed some time in order to consult the relevant parties in this matter, in order to compile a report and present his evidence in court,” said prosecutor Jacqueline Sibiya.

She said he would also need a transcript of proceedings to assist him in his analysis.

Binns-Ward said a transcript would be ordered with urgency.

The defence did not object to the compiling of the report.

Chimboza, 35, would remain in custody until Knibbs presented his report to the court on February 16.

Chimboza, who moved to Cape Town from Zimbabwe six years ago, on Monday pleaded guilty to killing 62-year-old Mbuyiselo Manona, as part of a plea agreement.

He stated in his plea explanation that he stabbed Manona to death at the home of a former client last June, after a disagreement.

He alleged Manona attacked him with a knife. He retaliated by kicking him in the groin, stabbing him in the neck with a fork and then repeatedly stabbing him in the neck, chest, and abdomen with a knife.

Manona was his ex-client's lover, who apparently accused Chimboza of having sex with his partner.

Chimboza said he was sorry for what he had done and had genuine remorse.

The State called various witnesses this week in aggravation of sentence.

The judge reprimanded the State for failing to call a mental health expert.

“How is the court supposed to consider a sentence without expert evidence into his behaviour?” Binns-Ward asked on Tuesday.

“In nearly 40 years, I have never been involved in a murder case where this [type of murder] has happened.”

The accounts of the arresting officer, a forensic pathologist, and a Gugulethu resident all seemed to point to the accused removing his victim's heart, cutting it up in pieces, and eating it.

Manona died from deep incisions to the neck, chest and abdomen, as well as blunt force injuries.

Chimboza's lawyer Yasmine Rajap on Tuesday denied he had eaten pieces of the heart.


Share this article: