Johannesburg - The ANC has quietly paid its former chief whip Mbulelo Goniwe R1.7 million earlier this year for loss of income, the Sowetan reported on Wednesday.
He lost his job following his suspension in November 2007, after he was found guilty of sexual harassment by a party-appointed disciplinary committee.
Goniwe was charged on October 25, 2006 with abuse of office by trying to obtain sexual favours from Parliament intern Nomawele Njongo.
The payment to Goniwe was confirmed to Sowetan on Tuesday, by his legal representative, Frans Smit, who said the money was paid earlier this year.
“I (have) been to Luthuli House (ANC headquarters) several times, met with senior leaders who made promises to pay but never kept them. But after putting pressure, the ANC paid R1.7 million,” Smit said.
Goniwe took the ruling party to court in 2011 and the High Court in Johannesburg ordered the ANC to pay him R1.2m plus interest of about R800 000 for loss of income.
Smit said the ANC failed to pay on time, hence they had to pay R1.7m.
Goniwe was now in talks with his successor, Stone Sizani, for a new position in Parliament. - Sapa