Extra Krejcir affidavit denied
Share this article:
Johannesburg - The Palm Ridge Regional Court turned down the prosecution's request to submit an additional affidavit on Wednesday in the bail application of Czech fugitive Radovan Krejcir and three others.
Magistrate Reginald Dama made the ruling after the defence objected to the submission of a document containing replies by the State to replies made by the defence.
Willie Vermeulen, for Krejcir, said court rules did not permit a reply to a reply.
“The State stated its case on Tuesday, and all members of the defence replied. The nature of a bail application does not permit this... otherwise, when are we going to end?” he asked.
Krejcir's co-accused are estate agent Desai Luphondo and Hawks members Warrant Officers Samuel Modise Maropeng and George Jeff Nthoroane.
They were arrested last month and face charges of assault, kidnapping, and attempted murder.
Andre Steenkamp, for Luphondo, and Francois Roets, for Maropeng and Nthoroane, also objected to the State's new affidavit.
“Why was this new evidence never presented to the court before? This means we have to reply again and that means the applicants have to spend more time in custody,” Roets said.
Prosecutor Louis Mashiane had asked the court for time to liaise with the investigating officer so he could respond to the defence statements presented earlier.
He told Dama he had been ambushed with all sorts of allegations against the State by the defence and therefore had the right to reply.
Mashiane argued that the law permitted that the rules be relaxed when it came to bail applications.
Dama turned down his request.
The bail hearing continues.