File photo

Johannesburg - A fire in a Kempton Park laboratory has been contained, Ekurhuleni emergency services said on Wednesday afternoon.

“At this point in time, we are confident (the fire) will not be able to spread. The flames are not as big as they were. We have contained the fire,” said spokesman William Tladi.

“The information at our disposal is that no one is injured and there are no fatalities.”

He said the fire at Carbotec Laboratories, in Spartan, an industrial area in Kempton Park, started at about 2pm.

“(The cause of the fire) is not yet known to us.”

Tladi said explosions went off inside the laboratory earlier due to cylinders stored inside. The contents of these were not yet known.

He said that also inside the laboratory were two 20 000 litre tanks, one filled with propane and the other with butane.

“These are both highly flammable gases.”

However, he said these two tanks were not at risk any more as the fire had been contained. - Sapa