M1 reopens after bridge collapse
Share this article:
Johannesburg – The M1 highway along Grayston Drive off-ramp in Johannesburg was opened again for traffic on Thursday afternoon, following the collapse of a pedestrian bridge a day earlier which left three people dead.
“The road has been cleared and I think we are now ready. We are now allowing traffic back onto this area,” Johannesburg mayor Parks Tau told reporters at a briefing next to the collapsed bridge.
Transport MEC Ishmael Vadi said there had been no serious damage to the road.
“The roads are in safe condition, technical people have inspected them, there was no structural damage to the road at all, except for minor potholes that emerged, that has been repaired.”
Murray and Roberts CEO Henry Laas said his company would assist with medical and funeral costs for the victims.
“We are in contact with families and we will lend the necessary support to them as well.”
A number of vehicles were trapped after scaffolding, debris and metal structures supporting the bridge fell onto cars driving along the M1. At least three cars were trapped under the rubble.
Tau said an investigation into the incident was underway.